Can I help you find something??

08 April 2014

Homemade Nakd Bars (Larabars)



I've been thinking about making my own Homemade Nakd Bars for some time, and finally got around to it this weekend.

And they were SO simple!

I have made another batch since and played with the flavours a bit too.

Ever since becoming gluten intolerant a year or so ago I have loved Nak'd bars!

They are based on blended dates and sultanas mixed with a variety of different nuts and flavours.











They are ideal for me because not only are they free from gluten, but because there is no chocolate, coconut, yoghurt or banana (none of which I can or like to eat).

I pinned a recipe from Big City Dreamer a while back and love the flavour combinations that she suggests. I found the basic recipe here: Homemade Raw Vegan Clean Eating Fruit, Nut & Oat Bars, but used more dates and my one favourite ingredient to include though is GF Crispy Rice Cereal. It really gives a great crunch and reminds me of the Strawberry Crunch. 

Ingredients:

100g pitted dates
42.5g sultanas (one kiddies snack box)
60g flaked almonds
100g pecan nuts
Two handfuls of crispy rice cereal (sorry not more specific!!)
1 squeeze of lime juice
2 tsps cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg

Homemade Nakd Bars

Method:

It is as simple as blending it all up and adding a few drops of lime/lemon juice. You then press it into a log, slice into bars and set in the fridge for an hour. That's it!

I have tried most of Nakd Bars now, but my favourite three would have to be the Berry Crunch, Custard Rhubarb and the Pecan Pie. And from what I have heard, the Larabar is the American version of the Nak'd Bar, and with flavours such as Apple Pie, Peanut Butter Cookie and Key Lime Pie I know what I will look out for the next time I am Stateside!!

But if you have a bag of dates, some sultanas and some nuts, you can just make a batch yourself! 


Homemade Nakd Bars

This batch was kind of like a crunchy and spicy pecan pie. Sounds kind of amazing doesn't it!

Homemade Nakd Bars

They are chewy, sweet, filling, nutritious and best of all, taste good too! And being so simple to make means they are fabulous to make at home and have on hand for when the munchies strike.

I am trying to find lots of healthier snacks at the moment, so would love to hear some suggestions if you know of any good ones!! That are gluten, chocolate, coconut, yoghurt and banana free... should be simple right?!?!

post signature

Psst!! If you are looking for a little more meg-made, I'd LOVE for you to follow along!


please-follow-me-on-pinterest please-follow-me-on-facebook please-follow-me-on-bloglovin please-follow-me-on-instagram

12 comments:

  1. Yummmm, these sound delicious! Anything that ups my healthy snacking quotient is good in my books. Of course you made them look super beautiful too!

    Thanks for sharing Meg! I hope you're having a lovely week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, I tend to eat fairly well for main meals but then my snacks tears me to shreds!!!! They taste so good I would swear there is some hidden sugar!!! Thanks Jennifer, you too!! xx

      Delete
  2. Yum!! I try to be mostly gluten free so can't wait to read more of your recipes! Xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hope! I'm only one year in on being gluten-intolerant, so I'm discovering lots of new ideas and ways of living GF so hopefully you'll like a few more too!!! I showed my Husband your save the dates tonight... he loved them too! So now we are both living vicariously!!! :) xx

      Delete
  3. These sound amazing - I have a serious Nakd bar addiction...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO easy to make yourself! What's your favourite one? xx

      Delete
  4. YUM, these bars look great! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Its live now!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cindy! I appreciate the pinning (as will anyone who gives the recipe a go... they are SOOO good!!!). Wishing you a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  5. These look amazing Meg! Love your take on them!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! They are so easy, but so delicious!!!!! xx

      Delete
  6. Really nice. I added some vanilla in too. Lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh the vanilla would be good too! Great idea! x

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg