Can I help you find something??

18 April 2014

How to Creme Caramel with Donna Hay


I hope you are having a great start to the Easter weekend! 

We are away for Easter this year but I thought I'd keep sharing some sweet treats that are perfect for Easter entertaining. 

Did you see yesterday's Maple Bacon Fudge

Today's sweet treat is Creme Caramel which I attempted for the first time last weekend when we had Uncle Luke over for dinner and thought this Australian recipe was so simple and so delicious that it is definitely worthy of an Easter dessert.

Donna Hay is an Australian cooking guru.











Her Classics 1 and Classics 2 recipe books are the most well-used resources in my bookcase and my go-to guides for so many recipes.

I have always been scared to make Creme Caramel, I always thought it required gelatin or magic, and so always favoured creme brûlée instead. And please excuse my photo...i'm not sure why they all turned out yellow... but here is my first ever attempt at a creme caramel...

I was surprised by how simple the Creme Caramel was to make! It takes a bit of time to make the caramel and then add the custard, but the brilliant part is that you don't actually have to stand around carefully stirring the custard, it bakes in the oven on its own! Clever little thing.

creme caramel meg-made

Ingredients
2/3 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup milk
3/4 cup single cream
2 eggs
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Method:

1. Make the caramel - Place the 2/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Brush sides of the pan with a little water to remove any sugar crystals. Increase the heat and boil for 8-10 minutes or until the syrup is a deep golden dolour. Pour into 4 ramekins and seta side for 5 minutes to allow the caramel to set. 

2. To make the custard- place the milk and cream in a saucepan over low heat and heat until warm. Place the eggs, extra egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Slowly pour over the milk mixture while whisking well to combine. Strain and pour over the caramel in the ramekins. 

3. Place the ramekins in a baking tray and pour in enough hot water to come three quarters of the way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 35 minutes or until the custard is set. Remove from the tray and refrigerate until cold. 

4. To serve - dip the base of each ramekin into hot water for 10 seconds (which loosens the caramel) and invert the creme caramel onto a plate and serve immediately. 

creme caramel meg-made

creme caramel meg-made

I do so love when you discover treats that are naturally gluten free and that aren't nearly as complicated as you expect them to be. I kind of get the feeling we'll be having these a lot around here this summer!!! I would like to learn how to make a coconut flan next... does anyone know how they differ??

post signature

Psst!! If you are looking for a little more meg-made, I'd LOVE for you to follow along!


please-follow-me-on-pinterest please-follow-me-on-facebook please-follow-me-on-bloglovin please-follow-me-on-instagram

2 comments:

  1. These look amazing Meg! I think I may need to give them a go x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do! Now that i know how easy they are to make, they are my new favourite dessert!!! Thanks Kel xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg